Following the high expectations of excellence set by our superintendent, Dr. G, for all students across the district, the Da Vinci Robotics Program has reached even greater heights. Students enrolled in Da Vinci’s Robotics classes under the direction of engineering teacher and district robotics coordinator, Alfredo Muñoz, have been identified as one of only two teams in the nation that will be sending a self-created experiment into space. Leading up to the final decision on the two winning teams, Da Vinci Robotics represented two of the four final teams competing to send their self-created research project to the International Space Station.
The DETECTS Initiative invited high school teams from all over the U.S. to submit their proposed research designs. Sponsors, The University of Alabama at Huntsville, and SPARC Laboratory then evaluated the proposed projects for their effectiveness in meeting all challenge criteria.
The DETECTS challenge presented to students a year ago involves:
- Two-semester, hands-on, space payload programming and testing challenge
- Students designed a small Raspberry Pi experiment to be performed in Low-Earth orbit
- Students will learn:
- Basic Python programming
- Basic circuit design
- Experiment design and testing
- Communication skills
Da Vinci’s Space Bound Winning Team and Project
- Project Manager: Xavier Litman
- Chief Engineer: Sebastian Banuelos
- Design/Programming Lead: Seth Rodriguez
- Design/Programming Member: Jessica Marquez
- Test Engineer: Kimberly Cardona
- ACE Lead: Alexandra Rodriguez
- ACE Member: Jasmine Looney
- Measure temperatures in Low Earth Orbit (LEO) and identify any relationship between the on-Earth seasons and the temperature in LEO
- Attempt to identify regions with the most greenhouse gas emissions
- Measure the constant vibrations on the International Space Station (ISS) and any major changes in these vibrations to eventually identify how often the ISS gets re-boosted into orbit.
- Potentially calculate the kinetic energy of their Raspberry Pi
Da Vinci Team Named to the Top 4 National Finalists
- Project Manager: Jonathan Herrera
- Chief Engineer: Reagan Rubio
- Design/Programming: Jonathan Gutierrez, Angel De Los Santos
- Testing: Francisco Villagrana, Isaac Gomez, Ivan Iniquez
- Marketing: Juan Santos, Alex Castro
The District is very proud of our Da Vinci Robotics Teams! Our appreciation goes to all those involved for the many long hours spent on these top-quality projects. These students serve as excellent representatives and ambassadors of what it means to be a student at Da Vinci School for Science and the Arts.